Monday, March 24, 2008

DJ's and Limo's and Hair, Oh My!

While I'm on spring break, I figured I'd make the best of it and get some work done on this wedding!

I've emailed two DJ's about working the wedding, tying everything together. The thing is that we've hired the jazz band, but we're not sure that everyone will know how to dance to them all night. Seeing as music is such a big deal to me and Joe, we decided that hiring a DJ was in order. I've come up with a pretty solid schedule of events that goes as follows:
6-7 PM: Cocktails with the Jazz Band
7:00-7:30 PM: Party Introductions w/DJ & Uncle Jay, Grace, Speeches & Cake Cutting while Jazz Band switches over
7:30-8:15 PM: Dinner with a small jazz combo
8:15-9:30 PM: Dancing with the Jazz Band
9:30-11:30 PM: Dancing with the DJ

This way, we'll have the bluesy, jazzy feel of vintage Hollywood for a while before getting down to "California Love" and "Panama" the rest of the night. The EC Jazz band is especially great because of all the standards they do.

So we'll just wait to find out what the DJ's say. Once we get our quotes I'll be sure to update!

I've also been researching limo companies for just the right transportation. I think we'll probably be going with two separate companies.
I love the idea of exiting the church and hopping into a vintage automobile that evokes the feel of the wedding. Going with a '57 chevy or something similar would be ideal for me, but not too wedding-like, so I've decided that going with something more like a 1939 Packard or a Rolls Royce might be nice. There's a local company that also has Bentleys, so there's that to think about too. However, I'd still need to find a way to transport the wedding party to the picture spot(s?) and then to the ballroom, so I'm thinking some kind of large limo for that. The bigger, the better, I say. That way we'll be able to accomodate our flower girls, ring-bearer and at least a parent of theirs as well.

Finally, I've been looking into a special beauty day at the salon for me and the girls the day of the wedding. So far so good. I called Tigerlilie in Lincoln Square. They have the day open and I put my name down to book the appointments. It can always be changed if we decide to do something else. Their wedding package is fabulous. They accommodate the entire party in their salon and offer mimosas, fruit and pastries while we get our hair done, makeup and even mini-manicures. I'll probably splurge on a limo to take us to and from the salon as well. It's in the city and I'd hate to have everyone split up for that. Plus, it will be fun to relax and have fun with my bridesmaids while we get primped for the wedding. Has anyone else done this for their wedding? I'm not sure if it will be too hectic, but with all the girls and myself living all over Chicagoland and even two out of state, I really think it will be a nice gathering point before the wedding.

Things are starting to come together more. I just wish my mom had spring break this week too so we could be doing all this planning together. I just get so motivated I want to check things off my never-ending list of things to do!
Soon enough.

I announced our wedding on my MySpace blog this weekend. I've been getting sweet messages from friends about it, which is so nice. Joe and I are so lucky to have such great friends!

No comments: